What did I learn?
- When we let go of our habitual certainties and the labels and definitions we and others have given ourselves, what emerges is a pure innocent, joyful, humble, creative and free consciousness. It certainly is the experience of a more real, authentic self that lies beneath our social masks.
- The monks themselves were the perfect embodiment of the elegance of simplicity, equanimity, compassion, kindness and joy.
- The peasants and villagers were generous and giving and, in my view, had more happiness then some of the wealthiest people in the world.
- The awareness of impermanence makes every moment precious, and an opportunity for giving and receiving.
- Compassion helps us go beyond the illusion of the separate self.
- Life is a continuum of experiences that occur in an eternal now. When we are grounded in present-moment awareness, there is an awakening of innocence, joy and knowingness that is our essential nature.
- Understanding and embracing impermanence and being aware of our own death makes every moment precious, and reminds us of what is really important in our life, so we can be happy and make others happy.
- We create our own environment. The quiet dignity and serenity of the monks and the villagers who embraced us created an atmosphere of peace and joy and a feeling of abundance that money cannot buy.
I am back now in New York City and settling to my routine of writing, public speaking and consulting. What I bring back with me is a fresh and renewed awareness of how we can all be and how this transformation in us can help create a better world.
Deepak Chopra is the author of more than 50 books on health, success, relationships and spirituality, including his current best-seller, Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul, and The Ultimate Happiness Prescription, which are available now. You can listen to his show on Saturdays every week on SiriusXM Channels 102 and 155.
When you help yourself, which self are you helping?
The power of an open mind
Are human beings set up to believe in a higher power?