Animals are unconcerned about age, looks, or physical ability; they accept you just as you are. If you're thinking about getting a pet, seriously consider adopting. Not only will you be saving your new pet's life, but you'll also be rewarded with years of companionship, entertainment, unconditional love, and increased opportunities to meet others. Single? Go to a dog park...but only if you have a dog. Read Keisha Whitaker's blog!TAKE ACTION TODAY
- Go to a shelter near you to see if there is an animal with which you "connect." If not, visit another shelter or return another day.
- Speak with an adoption counselor at the shelter about whether your choice of a particular type or breed will be best for you.
- Only select a pet if you have a realistic understanding of the time, effort, and money required to provide a healthy, loving environment for your pet.
- Enjoy your newfound friend.
- There are 4,000 to 6,000 animal shelters.
- Nearly 8 million dogs and cats enter U.S. shelters each year.
- Approximately 3 to 4 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year because there are not enough homes.
- 1 out of 4 dogs in shelters are purebreds. Adoption fees are usually much less than the cost of purchasing a dog from a pet store or breeder.
- Only 16% of owned dogs and 15% of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter.
- Many shelters vaccinate, de-worm, and spay or neuter for free.
More Ways to Make Your Mondays Matter