The Headline or Status Line
- Don't be too esoteric. Casey says it's fine to select a name that's clever, but don't pick something that will likely go over people's heads or come off as inaccessible.
- If the name you want is taken, don't try to force one. "Some people have usernames you need a decoder ring to decipher," Casey says. "All the numbers and letters jumbled together make it really hard to figure out what it means."
- Stay clear of anything too provocative. "Using something like 'legsfordays' as a username is probably not the impression you want to give if you're looking for a serious relationship," Casey says.
- Your headline should answer a basic question such as "What am I looking for?" Casey says the answer should be fun and playful and prompt people to want to click into your profile to get to know you better. "Something like 'This week I'm looking for a great cocktail date near Central Park' is fun and makes your profile stand out.
- Like the username, stay away from being too clever. "When you use too many puns or inside references, people aren't getting to know the real you," Casey says.
How do you deal with a few bad dates?
- Create three separate paragraphs. The first, Casey says, should be about who you are and what you like to do. The second should contain things such as your pet peeves and personal quirks—anything that is unique and stands out from the crowd. The last paragraph should detail what your life looks likes now, including the most recent movies you've seen, books you've read or places you've visited.
- Be brief. No one wants to read a novel, Casey says, and users should be careful about sharing too much.
- Be as unique as possible. "There was a point where everyone dating online was reading The DaVinci Code and they all made statements like 'I'm equally at home in a dive bar as I am dressing up,'" Allison says. "Those people don't seem real. Specificity is what makes you stand out. Tell people if you took a week off of work to follow Pearl Jam. Let them know about your Lord of the Rings collection! It's the best way to catch someone's eye."
- Spell check.
Published on September 28, 2009