Tension and anger between parents, not the actual divorce, can put your children at serious risk. Gary Neuman, creator of the Sandcastles Therapy Program, shows you how to take responsibility and provide your child with the best from each parent.
Gary explains that it's the conflict between parents, not the actual divorce, that puts children at risk. Many parents don't realize the consequences of their actions.
- Even in the smoothest divorces, children feel that they are to blame.
- Bad-mouthing your ex-spouse goes straight to the core of your child and destroys his or her self-esteem.
- Even subtle body language like rolling your eyes or slamming the phone down affects children.
- When parents involve children in custody or visitation decisions, it makes them feel insecure and unsafe.
- It's a major red flag when children are afraid to express affection towards one parent in front of the other.
- Not talking to your kids about your divorce can cause them to suppress their emotions and shut down emotionally.