Gary explains that it's the conflict between parents, not the actual divorce, that puts children at risk. Many parents don't realize the consequences of their actions.
- Even in the smoothest divorces, children feel that they are to blame.
- Bad-mouthing your ex-spouse goes straight to the core of your child and destroys his or her self-esteem.
- Even subtle body language like rolling your eyes or slamming the phone down affects children.
- When parents involve children in custody or visitation decisions, it makes them feel insecure and unsafe.
- It's a major red flag when children are afraid to express affection towards one parent in front of the other.
- Not talking to your kids about your divorce can cause them to suppress their emotions and shut down emotionally.