Is your teenager thinking about having sex for the first time? Before she makes a decision that could have an effect on the rest of her sexual life, sit down and have an open, honest and nonjudgmental conversation. Here are some questions Dr. Laura Berman says you need to ask..
- Why do you want to take it to the next level now?
- How long do the two of you plan to stay together?
- Are you prepared for the emotions you might feel afterward?
- Have you talked about condoms?
- Are you prepared with two forms of birth control?
- Have you talked about what happens if you get pregnant?
- Do you understand sexually transmitted diseases?
- Are both of you absolutely sure that neither one of you has been with anyone else sexually in any way?
For more information on when to start talking to your children about sex, download Dr. Berman's Sex Ed Handbook!
Published on April 16, 2009