Expert Content | January 01, 2006
Other Creative Ways to Stay Connected
- Use snail mail. Send cards and write letters. Getting mail that matters has become welcome because it's so rare these days. Use the old post office and send a message from the heart.
- Make your child's favorite dish and put it in their freezer. They will be delighted on the day they need it.
- Make a recipe binder with your family's favorite and most beloved dishes. This is a wonderful gift and it will ensure traditions for years to come.
- Make a scrapbook filled with pictures to send off to college with your child. They will love having it to show to their new friends, and it will be a wonderful comfort to them on the days when homesickness takes hold.
- Put notes in your child's pockets as you pack their clothes for college. They will find them for months to come. They may be annoyed, but they will get a chuckle out of it, too!
- Send your child a one-way ticket home. Let them know they always have the means to make their way back home.
- Celebrate their successes—over the phone, in an e-mail or surprise them with a visit! Show how proud you are of their accomplishments.
- Send flowers to college. You can add a little "thinking of you" note and let all the roommates try and guess who sent them. Your child will know.
Printed from Oprah.com on Thursday, March 6, 2014
© 2014 OWN, LLC. All Rights Reserved