Most parents want a clean environment for their little ones. Unfortunately, the chemicals in most cleaning solutions can be harmful to children.
Actress and mom Kelly Preston knows this too well. As a member of The Children's Health Environmental Coalition, she's dedicated to keeping a home that's safe and clean.
In her home, Kelly uses natural alternatives that pose less risk to children. Here's some of her advice for keeping chemicals to a minimum:
"We've been trained to think that a house that's clean smells clean, but the smells are chemicals," Kelly explains. Use alternatives such as:
- Baking soda to clean the bathroom
- Vinegar and water to clean windows
- Any cleaning product labeled "non-toxic"
Beware of New Décor
- Don't install new carpet in your baby's room. That new carpet smell could be fumes from plastics, formaldehyde and glues.
- Don't paint. Read the small print on paint cans. Many paint cans say that they contain solvents that could cause permanent brain and nervous system damage.
Printed from Oprah.com on Sunday, March 16, 2014
© 2014 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.