Keep Your Baby Safe from Cleaners
In her home, Kelly uses natural alternatives that pose less risk to children. Here's some of her advice for keeping chemicals to a minimum:
"We've been trained to think that a house that's clean smells clean, but the smells are chemicals," Kelly explains. Use alternatives such as:
- Baking soda to clean the bathroom
- Vinegar and water to clean windows
- Any cleaning product labeled "non-toxic"
Beware of New Décor
- Don't install new carpet in your baby's room. That new carpet smell could be fumes from plastics, formaldehyde and glues.
- Don't paint. Read the small print on paint cans. Many paint cans say that they contain solvents that could cause permanent brain and nervous system damage.