If your child is the victim of a bully at school, you should:
- Take it seriously—don't minimize the experience.
- Keep an open dialogue with your child about the bullying.
- Don't assume the bullying has stopped if your child stops talking about it.
- Give consistent advice.
- Bolster your child's self-esteem in other areas. Help them find an activity where they fit in.
- Don't go it alone. Find other parents whose children are being bullied and organize.
- Remind your child what you like about him or her and encourage them to find a group of allies.
- Contact your child's school to report what is going on.