According to Dr. Thompson, asking your children's teachers is crucial to understanding your child's social behavior. "I'm distressed that parents ask so rarely about their child's social life," Dr. Thompson says. If you find that your child is in trouble socially, you can make an alliance with the teacher and guidance counselor to work on helping your child.
Some key questions to ask your child's teachers include:
- Do you know something about where my child stands in the social hierarchy?
- Is my child getting along with other children?
- Does my child have a friend?
- Is my child a good leader?
- Is my child accepting of other children?