8 Facts about Rockville Correctional Facility
Posted: Tue 02/15/2011 07:30 PM
Rockville is the largest women's state prison in Indiana and houses inmates at all security levels.
- Rockville houses approximately 1,200 inmates
- The facility was originally a US Air Force radar base in the 1950’s
- The average age of the women at intake is 33. The average current age is 35.
- Nearly one-third of the women are in Rockville for substance abuses
- The majority of the women at Rockville are serving sentences of two to ten years with less than 1% indeterminate life or life without parole. Only 5% are in prison for murders.
- The Hope Center offers parenting classes for inmate mothers and allows them to practice their skills and establish a positive relationship with their children.
- The ICAN Assistance Dog program allows inmates to train pups until they are fifteen months old.
- Rockville’s on-site school, Parkeview, has a GED program as well as courses in culinary arts, building trades, computer literacy, horticulture, home maintenance and business technology