The Creative Mind Challenge: Official Contest Rules
• NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE IN THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
• THIS IS A SKILL-BASED CONTEST.
• VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
• PRIZE ACCEPTANCE RELEASE MAY BE REQUIRED.
• SPONSOR OBTAINS A NON-EXCLUSIVE LICENSE TO POST AND USE ANY AND ALL CONTENT SUBMITTED AS PART OF THE CONTEST.
• ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED SOLELY BY BINDING ARBITRATION.
• ONLINE ENTRY AND INTERNET ACCESS IS REQUIRED.
• GRAND PRIZE WINNER WILL BE REQUIRED TO TRAVEL ON SPONSOR-SELECTED DATES IN JANUARY OR FEBRUARY 2012 AS A CONDITION TO RECEIPT OF PRIZE.
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU MUST AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH CREATE A CONTRACT SO READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING. WITHOUT LIMITATION, SUCH CONTRACT INCLUDES GRANTS OF RIGHTS AND INDEMNITIES TO SPONSOR FROM YOU AND MANDATORY ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Creative Mind Challenge (the “Contest”) is open only to legal residents and who are physically located in one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, who are at least twenty-one (21) years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of OWN: OWN Digital LLC (“Sponsor”), Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. and each of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, distributors and other prize suppliers, directors, officers, and each of their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household (whether legally related or not) of each are not eligible to enter the Contest or win. For purposes of this Contest, immediate family members are defined as spouse, domestic partner, parents, legal guardians, in-laws, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren. Additionally, Sponsor may conduct background checks on the winner and the winner's selected companion, as a condition to receipt of the Trip Prize (defined below). Winner and winner's selected companion must first submit to such background check and cooperate with Sponsor in any way that Sponsor requests in order to be eligible to receive the prize. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any winner and/or the winner's companion based on such background check if Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion, that awarding the prize to such winner might reflect negatively on Sponsor.
2. ENTRY PERIOD: Entrants may begin submitting entries to the Contest on or about 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time on October 16, 2011, and all submissions must be received by the Sponsor on or before 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time on November 20, 2011 (the “Entry Period”). By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these “Official Rules” and the decisions of the Judges (defined below) and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest, including, without limitation, interpretation of the Official Rules.
3. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, you must go to http://www.oprah.com/creativemindcontest (the “Contest Website”) or otherwise follow the call to action provided in any advertising for the Contest. Next, participants may be required to first either sign in as a registered user on the Website or register as a member on the Website (which is free). Once you are registered as a user, log-in to the Contest Website. The Contest Website will contain a description of the Contest and the official entry form. The entry form will request entrant’s information such as entrant’s first and last name, e-mail address, telephone number and address. Entrant must complete the entry form with all required information on the entry submission page for the entry to be eligible. Additionally, entrants must submit either one (1): (i) video, (ii) essay, or (iii) photograph (each of the video, essay and photograph are individually referred to as a “Category” and collectively, referred to as the “Categories”) that answers the question: “What inspires you?” that meets the requirements outlined in these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Content Guidelines (defined below). For the purpose of this Contest, a submission is a video, essay or photograph file that follows the technical, creative, and legal requirements disclosed on the Contest Website and elsewhere in these Official Rules. Please be aware that each of the video, essay and photograph submissions will be operated as independent contests such that all video submissions will be competing only against all other video submissions, all essay submissions will be competing only against all other essay submissions, and all photograph submissions will be competing only against all other photograph submissions.
ONCE TRANSMITTED ALL SUBMISSIONS BECOME PART OF THE CONTEST AND MAY NOT BE REMOVED BY THE ENTRANT, EVEN IF ENTRANT WITHDRAWS FROM CONTEST CONSIDERATION. All eligible submissions to the Contest will be an entry in the Contest. All entries must be received within the Entry Period. For purposes of this Contest, an entry is “received” when the Contest Website’s servers record the entry information. Proof of sending (such as an automated computer receipt confirming entry or “thanks for entering” message) does not constitute proof of actual receipt of an entry for purposes of this Contest. The database clock of the Contest Website will be the official time keeper for the Contest. Those who do not follow all of the instructions, provide the required information in their entry form, or abide by these Official Rules or other instructions of Sponsor will be disqualified.
There is a limit of one (1) entry per person for the Contest. All entries that are in excess of the stated limits, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, destroyed, forged or otherwise not in compliance with the Official Rules may be disqualified from the Contest at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Use of any automated system to submit entries is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Sponsor reserves the right to void all entries made through any robotic, automatic, mechanically programmed or similar entry duplication method and to disqualify any individual using such a method. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of any entrant who submits an entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the holder of the e-mail account or IP address, at Sponsor’s election, from which it was sent. The “registered account holder” is the person assigned an e-mail address or service by the organization responsible for assigning addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Winners may be required to show proof of being the registered account holder. If a dispute cannot be resolved to the Sponsor’s satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible. Sponsor and affiliated entities are not responsible for lost, misdirected, misplaced, stolen, tampered with, deleted, or invalid entries. Assurance of delivery of entries is the sole responsibility of the entrant. All entries become the physical property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
4. SUBMISSION CONTENT GUIDELINES:
Each Contest entry must comply with the following content guidelines (collectively, “Content Guidelines”). Submissions that do not meet the following Content Guidelines are subject to disqualification and/or removal from the Contest Website, at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion:
• Only entrant and individuals who have specifically provided their written consent/approval may appear or be included in a submission.
• Except for materials in the public domain, each submission, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material created by the entrant and suitable for presentation in a public forum.
• Video submissions uploaded through the Contest Website must be in one (1) of the following file formats: asf, asx, avi, flv, mov, mp4, mpg, wmv, 3gpp.
• Photo submissions uploaded through the Contest Website must be in one (1) of the following file formats: .gif or .jpg
• Essay submissions uploaded through the Contest Website must be submitted within the appropriate text field. No attachments are permitted for the text submission.
• Video and photograph submissions must not exceed four hundred (400) megabytes in file size.
• Essay submissions must not exceed 2,500 characters in length, including spaces.
• Video submissions must be between thirty (30) seconds in length and no longer than three (3) minutes.
• Submissions must not have been submitted previously in any contest of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly (i.e., disclosed beyond your immediate circle of friends and family) through any means previously.
• Except for materials in the public domain, submissions must include only materials created by the entrant and must not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any other person or entity. Sponsor does not permit the infringement of others’ rights and any use of materials not original to the entrant is grounds for disqualification from the Contest. Do not copy your favorite movie or book or include materials, images, graphics, music or trademarks belonging to any third parties or incorporate the names, voices, likeness or personas of any party other than yourself unless you have obtained all rights necessary to permit you to use same in connection with your Submission and grant the rights herein granted to Sponsor. Entries may not contain brand names, trademarks or company logos.
• Video submissions should not include any music.
• Submissions must not include material that: (a) is sexually explicit, indecent, obscene, violent, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, (b) is derogatory or promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age, (c) invades the privacy or publicity rights of any person, living or deceased, (d) is unlawful, (e) is harmful to other users of the Contest Website such as viruses, trojan horses or other technologies that could adversely impact the Contest, and/or (f) is disparaging to Sponsor or is inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate (at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion).
• Each submission must not reveal any personal information about another individual, including another person’s address, phone number, e-mail address, credit card number or any information that may be used to track, contact or impersonate that individual.
5. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: Entrants, upon submission of their entry to the Contest, hereby irrevocably grant to Sponsor, and each of its licensees, successors and assigns, the non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, no-cost license and right to use and otherwise exploit the submissions submitted as part of the Contest, and all images, text and materials depicted therein, in whole or in part, in any manner or medium now or hereafter known or devised (including, without limitation, CDs, streaming media, film, television, videocassettes, print, interactive devices, mobile media, Internet and on-line systems), throughout the universe and in any and all languages, including, without limitation, the right to display, reproduce, record, perform, exhibit, distribute, copy, edit, change, modify, add to, subtract from, re-title and adapt the same, to combine it with other material and otherwise use and exploit it without having to give any compensation or attribution to entrants except for the awarding of the prizes in this Contest. Sponsor, and each of their successors, assigns and licensees, will have the right to make unlimited derivative works therefrom, to assign or transfer any or all such rights and to grant unlimited, multiple-level sublicenses. Without limiting the forgoing, Sponsor will have the right to use the submissions submitted as part of the Contest, and all images depicted therein (if any), in any merchandising, advertising, marketing, promotion or for any other commercial or non-commercial purpose. Entrants hereby forever waive and relinquish all so-called “moral rights (droit moral)” now or hereafter recognized in connection with submissions submitted as part of the Contest. Notwithstanding that Sponsor is granted a non-exclusive license in entrant’s submission, entrants acknowledge that as a condition to being selected as a Winner, Sponsor may request that the Winner’s submission, and any rights therein, be assigned to Sponsor and entrants may be required to confirm such assignment by completing and submitting the Prize Acceptance Release (and any other documents reasonably required by Sponsor) or such entrant will otherwise be disqualified from receiving their prize. Entrants must maintain the ability to assign all such rights to Sponsor free of any limitations, restrictions or third party obligations. Entrants agree that Sponsor shall have the sole discretion in determining the extent and manner of use of submissions and are not obligated to use any submission. Sponsor reserves the right to request entrants provide to Sponsor a written clearance document that provides written consent for an individual that appears in a Contest submission. Entrants agree not to issue any publicity concerning Sponsor. Entrants agree that Sponsor, nor its agents, shall be responsible for return or preservation of the submissions submitted. All submissions that are posted on the Contest Website are available to be viewed by anyone with access to the Internet. Each entrant acknowledges that other entrants may have created ideas and concepts contained in their submission that may have familiarities or similarities to his/her own submission, and that he/she will not be entitled to any compensation or right to negotiate with the Released Parties (defined below) because of these familiarities or similarities. The decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest, including interpretation and application of these Official Rules. Each entrant, by participating in the Contest, except where legally prohibited, grants permission for Sponsor and its designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
6. REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND INDEMNITY: Each entrant represents and warrants that he or she has read, understands and will follow the Official Rules. Entrants further represent and warrant that their submission and all materials and matter therein: (1) are wholly original with such entrant and are not a copy or imitation of any other material or entrant has obtained all necessary rights; (2) will not infringe or violate any right whatsoever, including, without limitation, any personal rights (e.g., defamation, privacy, false light, moral right, etc.) or any property rights (e.g., copyright, trademark, right to ideas, etc.) of any person or entity and the use thereof will result in no third party liability or obligations; and (3) is not the subject of any threatened or pending litigation, claim or dispute that might give rise to litigation, which adversely affects or in any way prejudices, impairs or diminishes the rights granted hereunder or the value thereof. Each entrant further represents and warrants that he or she has the right to agree to and fully perform consistent with these Official Rules and the consent of no third parties are required to grant the rights hereunder. Further, each entrant represents and warrants that Sponsor’s use of any submission shall not violate an agreement to which such entrant has signed. Entrants agree to indemnify and hold the Released Parties harmless from and against any third party claim, to the extent relating to any breach of any representation, warranty or covenant made by such entrant in connection with his or her acceptance of these Official Rules or Contest activities.
7. DETERMINING THE WINNERS: After the conclusion of the Entry Period, each submission in each Category will be reviewed by a team of judges (“Judges”) assembled by Sponsor, and compared with all other submissions in the same Category, based on the following judging criteria (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”):
- 33.3% based on creativity; and
- 33.3% based on quality;
- 33.3% responsiveness/interpretation to question: “What inspires you?”
8. WINNER NOTIFICATION AND PRIZE CLAIMING: Each potential Winner will be notified by e-mail and/or telephone and/or mail on or about December 19, 2011. Notification is deemed to have occurred immediately upon sending of an e-mail, placing of a phone call, one (1) day after sending via a delivery service or two (2) days after mailing. A potential Winner who provides a P.O. Box may be required to provide an alternative address and this may cause a delay in notification and acceptance so use of a P.O. Box is discouraged. Each potential Winner and the potential Winner’s companion may be required to submit to a background check before being deemed eligible to receive the Trip Prize. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any individual whose background check reveals information that is inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate (which may be determined by Sponsor, at its sole and absolute discretion).
Each potential Winner of the Contest and their travel companion may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability/prize acceptance agreement (the “Prize Acceptance Release”) and return the Prize Acceptance Release before being eligible to receive his or her prize. If any potential Winner fails or refuses to sign and return such Prize Acceptance Release within five (5) days of the first (1st) notification attempt or if the Trip Prize (defined below) or prize notification is returned as rejected, faulty, unclaimed or returned as undeliverable to such potential Winner, such potential Winner (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) may be disqualified and an alternate may (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) be selected. Each Winner and his/her companion must all be at least twenty-one (21) years of age to participate. If any potential Winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules, he or she may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion, and an alternate potential Prize Winner may then, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be selected by the Judges from the criteria set forth above or in the Schedule (as applicable). The Prize Acceptance Release is subject to verification by Sponsor.
Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, damaged, intercepted misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify the potential Winners. When a potential Winner is contacted, he/she will have a stated period of time within which to respond to the notification, or he/she will be disqualified and his/her Prize forfeited, and an alternate potential Winner may be selected. If a potential Winner changes his/her e-mail address or other contact information after he/she registers, it is his/her sole responsibility to update his/her registration information notifying the Sponsor. Failure to update such registration information may affect a potential Winner’s ability to receive a prize.
9. GRAND PRIZES: Sponsor will be awarding the Winner of the video Category: (i) one (1) prize package consisting of: (i) two (2) roundtrip economy/coach airline tickets for the Winner and one (1) companion via a Sponsor-selected air carrier(s) from a major commercial airport selected by Sponsor near Winner’s home, to New York, New York; (ii) a two (2)-night hotel stay (one (1) standard room based on double occupancy) for the Winner and companion in New York, New York (hotel to be selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); (iii) a one time payment of $200 for use by the Winner for airport transfers; and (iv) a one (1) time film class in New York City with a local expert, to be selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. The total approximate retail value (“ARV”) for the prize is: Two Thousand Seven Hundred-Fifty Dollars ($2,750.00). Sponsor will be awarding the Winner of the essay Category:
(i) one (1) prize package consisting of: (i) two (2) roundtrip economy/coach airline tickets for the Winner and one (1) companion via a Sponsor-selected air carrier(s) from a major commercial airport selected by Sponsor near Winner’s home, to New York, New York; (ii) a two (2)-night hotel stay (one (1) standard room based on double occupancy) for the Winner and companion in New York, New York (hotel to be selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); (iii) a one time payment of $200 for use by the Winner for airport transfers; and (iv) a one (1) time writing class in New York City with a local expert, to be selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. The total ARV for the prize is: Two Thousand Seven Hundred-Fifty Dollars ($2,750.00).
Sponsor will be awarding the Winner of the photography Category:
(i) one (1) prize package consisting of: (i) two (2) roundtrip economy/coach airline tickets for the Winner and one (1) companion via a Sponsor-selected air carrier(s) from a major commercial airport selected by Sponsor near Winner’s home, to New York, New York; (ii) a two (2)-night hotel stay (one (1) standard room based on double occupancy) for the Winner and companion in New York, New York (hotel to be selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion); (iii) a one time payment of $200 for use by the Winner for airport transfers; and (iv) a one (1) time photography class in New York City with a local expert, to be selected by Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. The total ARV for the prize is: Two Thousand Seven Hundred-Fifty Dollars ($2,750.00).
The total ARV of all “Trip Prizes” being awarded in the Contest is: Eight Thousand Two Hundred Fifty Dollars (U.S. $8,250.00). Actual retail value of Trip Prizes may vary depending on point of departure, travel dates and fare/rate fluctuations. All travel arrangements must be made through the Sponsor or Sponsor’s designee. Certain restrictions and black out dates may apply. Each Winner may be required to travel as and when designated by Sponsor or the Trip Prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner chosen.
Each Winner and his or her travel companion must travel together on the same itinerary and possess all required travel documents. It is the responsibility of the Winner and their companion to provide proper documentation (including government issued picture identification). All aspects of the travel portions of the Trip Prize must be conducted on such dates as determined by Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion. The dates of departure and return are subject to change at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. Sponsor reserves the right to structure travel route and select hotels in their sole and absolute discretion. Each Winner will not receive cash or any other form of compensation if actual travel costs are less than the estimate made in these Official Rules. The round trip air transportation element for the Trip Prize begins and ends at the point of departure. The Trip Prize is subject to seat and hotel availability, as well as Sponsor’s terms and conditions generally applicable thereto. If in the judgment of Sponsor air travel is not required due to Winner’s proximity to New York, NY, ground transportation will be substituted for roundtrip air travel at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. The difference in value will not be awarded to the Winner.
Sponsor shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels, venue operators, transportation companies, prize providers or any other persons providing any Trip Prize-related services or accommodations. Sponsor is not liable for any missed prize events, opportunities or expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellation/delay or ground transportation delay. No refund or compensation will be made in the event of the cancellation or delay of any transportation or other prize element except at the sole and absolute discretion of Sponsor. Additional prize award details and travel information to be provided to the Winner at the time of Trip Prize notification. Winner and companions are also responsible for obtaining travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance. The Winner may be required to provide a credit card at the time of hotel check-in. Travel companion must execute liability/publicity releases prior to issuance of travel documents. Once a travel companion is selected, he/she may not be substituted, except in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Contest, and those set forth by Sponsor’s transportation carrier(s) of choice. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. All expenses not specifically mentioned herein, are not included as part of any Trip Prize package, and are solely the Winner’s responsibility, including, but not limited to: hotel taxes, additional ground transportation at the Winner’s destination(s), travel insurance, room service, bag check fees, parking fees, laundry service, food, alcoholic beverages, merchandise, souvenirs, telephone calls, tips, gratuities and service charges. Transportation carrier and hotel regulations and conditions apply. Travel and lodging are subject to availability, and any changes made to either of these will be at the expense of the Winner. If, for whatever reason, any event associated with the Trip Prize is cancelled after the Trip Prize is awarded, Sponsor’s liability for the prize is limited only to the non-event portions of the Trip Prize. No compensation will be paid in lieu of the cancelled event. The Winners are strictly prohibited from selling, auctioning, trading or otherwise transferring the tickets unless Sponsor consents in writing.
Trip Prize is non-transferable, with no cash redemptions, equivalents or substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. All Trip Prize details not specified in these Official Rules will be determined in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Trip Prize details and availability are subject to change and prize provider’s rules and restrictions, and in the event that Sponsor is unable to provide the Winner with their prize, the Sponsor may elect, to provide Winners with the approximate value of such item in cash or award an alternate prize of comparable or greater value. In the event a Winner (and/or his or her companion) engage in behavior that (as determined by Sponsor or any prize provider in its or their sole and absolute discretion) is obnoxious, inappropriate, or threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the trip or other applicable experience early. All prizes are awarded “AS IS” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). Each Winner will be solely responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes, and for any other fees or costs associated with the Trip Prize they receive, regardless of whether it, in whole or in part, is used. ARV of the Trip Prize is based on available information provided to Sponsor and the value of any prize awarded to a Winner may be reported for tax purposes as required by law. Each Winner may be required to provide Sponsor with a valid social security number or tax identification number before the prize will be awarded for tax reporting purposes. An IRS Form 1099 may be issued in the name of Winner, or if a minor in the jurisdiction in which s/he resides, in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian, for the actual value of the prize received. Unclaimed prizes will be forfeited.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, inaccurate, stolen, misdirected, undelivered, delayed, garbled or damaged entries; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Contest Website users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to participants’ or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Contest Website. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest or Contest Website or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and all associated entries will be void. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of entries, or should the Contest be unable to run as planned for any other reason, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential Winner from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the action taken or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE THE CONTEST WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR WILL DISQUALIFY ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) AND OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
11. RELEASE: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, distributors, licensors, licensees, representatives, attorneys, prize providers and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, successors and assigns (“Released Parties”): from and against any and all claims, liability, costs, losses, damages or injuries of any kind arising out of or related to entrants’ participation in the Contest and/or related to any prize (including, without limitation, losses, damages or injuries to entrant's or any other person’s equipment or other property, or to their persons, related to participation in the Contest; or arising out of any violation of rights of publicity or privacy, or claims of defamation or portrayal in a false light; or based on any claim of infringement of intellectual property; or from any typographical, human or other error in the printing, offering, selection, operation or announcement of any Contest activity and/or prize). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing entrants agree that Released Parties: (A) have neither made nor will be in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, in connection with the Contest and/or with respect to prizes, including, without limitation, to any prize’s quality or fitness for a particular purpose; (B) maintain no control over the personnel, equipment or operation of any air, water or surface carrier, ship line, bus or limousine company, transportation company, hotel, manufacturer or other person or entity furnishing services, products or accommodations (“Suppliers”) as a part of the Prizes provided in connection with the Contest; and (C) will not be responsible or liable for any injury, damage, loss, expense, accident, delay, inconvenience or other irregularity that may be caused or contributed to: (1) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of the Suppliers or any of their agents, servants, employees or independent contractors, (2) by any defect in or failure of any vehicle, equipment, instrumentality, service or product that is owned, operated, furnished or otherwise used by any of those Suppliers, (3) by the wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other person or entity not an employee of the Released Parties, and (4) by any cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the control of the Released Parties. Each entrant further agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Released Parties from and against any and all liability resulting or arising from the Contest and to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Released Parties. Sponsor is not responsible for the actions of entrants in connection with the Contest, including entrants’ attempts to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest. Entrants further understand and agree that all rights under Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California (“Section 1542”) and any similar law of any state or territory of the United States that may be applicable with respect to the foregoing release are hereby expressly and forever waived. Entrants acknowledge that Section 1542 provides that: “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.” The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims.
12. SUSPENSION / MODIFICATION / TERMINATION: In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest by any event beyond its control, including, but not limited to, fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, communications or equipment failure, utility or service interruptions, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared), interference with the Contest by any party, or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence) Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest. Sponsor additionally reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion: (1) to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest should causes beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt or interfere with the administration, integrity, operation, security or proper play of the Contest; or (2) to disqualify any entrant found to be, or suspected of: (a) tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (b) acting in violation of these Official Rules; or (c) acting in an un-sportsmanlike manner.
13. GOVERNING LAW / LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of entrants, Sponsor or the Released Parties in connection with the Contest will be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state’s laws.
BY ENTERING OR OTHERWISE PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
14. DISPUTE RESOLUTION: The parties each agree to finally settle all disputes only through arbitration; provided, however, the Sponsor shall be entitled to seek injunctive or equitable relief in the state and federal courts in Los Angeles County and any other court with jurisdiction over the parties. In arbitration, there is no judge or jury and review is limited. The arbitrator’s decision and award is final and binding, with limited exceptions, and judgment on the award may be entered in any court with jurisdiction. The parties agree that, except as set forth above, any claim, suit, action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Contest shall be resolved solely by binding arbitration before a sole arbitrator under the streamlined Arbitration Rules Procedures of JAMS Inc. (“JAMS”) or any successor to JAMS. In the event JAMS is unwilling or unable to set a hearing date within fourteen (14) days of the filing of a “Demand for Arbitration”, then either party can elect to have the arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) or any other mutually agreeable arbitration administration service. If an in-person hearing is required, then it will take place in Chicago, IL, New York City, NY, Los Angeles, CA, Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX (whichever is closest to entrant's residence); provided, however, if none of these locations are convenient for the hearing, the parties may mutually agree on an alternative location. The federal or state law that applies to these Official Rules will also apply during the arbitration. Disputes will be arbitrated only on an individual basis and will not be consolidated with any other proceedings that involve any claims or controversy of another party, including any class actions; provided, however, if for any reason any court or arbitrator holds that this restriction is unconscionable or unenforceable, then the agreement to arbitrate doesn’t apply and the dispute must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in Los Angeles County, California. Sponsor agrees to pay the administrative and arbitrator’s fees in order to conduct the arbitration (but specifically excluding any travel or other costs of entrant to attend the arbitration hearing). Either party may, notwithstanding this provision, bring qualifying claims in small claims court.
15. NAME OF WINNER/OFFICIAL RULES REQUESTS: To receive the name of the Winners, prior to February 1, 2012, send a stamped self-addressed envelope to: “Contest Winners List”, OWN: OWN Digital LLC, 5700 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 120, Los Angeles, CA 90036 (Attn: Head of Business & Legal Affairs). Please indicate which Contest winners list you are requesting (i.e., the name of the Contest). For a copy of these Official Rules, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope to: “Contest Official Rules”, OWN: OWN Digital LLC, 5700 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 120, Los Angeles, CA 90036 (Attn: Head of Business & Legal Affairs) prior to the end of the Entry Period. Please indicate which Contest Official Rules you are requesting (i.e., the name of the Contest). Vermont residents may omit return postage with Official Rules requests.
16. SPONSOR: This Contest is sponsored by OWN: OWN Digital LLC, 5700 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 120, Los Angeles, CA 90036.
//End of Official Rules//