(recipe courtesy Lee Hefter)4 ounces diced #1 sushi grade tuna
1 tbsp. diced pickled ginger
1 tsp. chopped scallions (see below)
2 tbsp. Spicy Chili Mayonnaise (see below)
Miso Tuile Cone
4 ounces (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup corn syrup
1/8 cup miso paste
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. powdered ginger
1/2 cup sesame seeds (1/4 cup black, 1/4 cup white)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter together with the corn syrup. Do Not Boil.
3. Remove from the heat and whisk in miso paste and sesame oil.
4. Sift the flour, continuously stirring. Add the ginger and sesame seeds.
5. Bake in the oven on Silpats in 1 tablespoon portions for 10 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 minutes.
6. Remove from the baking sheets and form into miniature cones.
Assembly and Presentation
1. Mix together tartare ingredients. Place in plastic pastry bag.
2. Place cones (about 20) in cone holder. Place 2 daikon sprouts in each cone while piping in the tartare mixture.
3. Top with masago roe, julienne bonito flake, and chopped pickled ginger.
Soy Sauce/Wasabi Mixture made with 1/3 cup wasabi paste and 1 cup Japanese soy sauce. First, mix the wasabi paste with a little water, then mix with soy sauce. Be sure to shake or mix before every use.
Spicy Chili Mayonnaise is made with 1 cup of good quality prepared mayonnaise, 1/3 cup plus 1/4 tablespoon chili sauce siaracha, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (Kadoya brand), all mixed together.