Super Soul Sunday
Sundays at 11 a.m. ET/PT
SoulPancake: Meet the Team!
Posted: Tue 07/03/2012 08:00 AM
They're the fabulous foursome who aren't afraid to take on Life's Big Questions—let's get to know more about our favorite SoulPancakers! Here, the SoulPancake team each offers up 5 things themselves, straight from their brains.
RAINN WILSON, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER AND FOUNDER
1. At one point in high school, I was on the chess team, marching band, computer club, debate club, pottery club, and Model United Nations. Now I am an actor.
2. Dear Reader: Please fill in what you’d like to see in my bio.
3. When I was 24, I got what is called a hydrocele in my left scrotum. The membrane that controls the flow of fluid was faulty, and my scrotum began to fill, ever so slowly, with water until my ball was approximately the size of a mandarin orange. It’s all better now.
4. “It is difficult / to get the news from poems / yet men die miserably every day / for lack / of what is found there.” // WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS
5. I co-created SoulPancake and my son, Walter.
DEVON GUNDRY, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER AND CEO
1. I’m grateful that I slacked off in my sixth-grade computer class, since typing with all of the wrong fingers naturally holds my hands in a position that prevents carpal tunnel syndrome.
2. Depending on when you met me, I might have been: a checkers champion, the kid who squirted Super Glue in his eye, a competitive Ping-Pong player, Tweedle Dum, a high school valedictorian, a fake blond, 1⁄12 of an all-male a capella group, a graduate of the Vanderbilt School of Engineering, a nomad, a street musician, or a pigeon assassin.
3. My little brother is smarter than me. My little sister is a better writer than I’ll ever be. My mom has twice as much energy as me. And my dad’s mustache makes mine look like a wannabe.
4. Somehow, I convinced one of my co-authors to marry me. Now I have a wife. And a baby. And they're so dang cool.
5. I believe delicious things can happen when you simultaneously smash art and spirituality into your brain stem. And that is why I love SoulPancake.
GOLRIZ LUCINA, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER AND CO-DIRECTOR OF CONTENT
1. I’m a Persian-Armenian-Kiwi-Australian who drinks copious amounts of Earl Grey tea and laments the use of Comic Sans font.
2. When I was a toddler, I supposedly walked around with a pen and paper “taking notes.” This makes me two things: a nerd from a young age, and someone destined to get a master’s degree in publishing.
3. My family members could not be more different from one another. The mix includes one rocket scientist brother; one fashionista sister; one honey-harvesting, lover-of-all-creatures-big-and-small mother; and one classical music enthusiast father. And then there’s me—a camera junkie and jetsetter with a penchant for tasty type treatments (and alliteration).
4. I have a big crush on one of my co-workers.
5. I believe that questions are often more essential than answers. And that is why I love SoulPancake.
SHABNAM MOGHARABI, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER AND COO
1. I have been told repeatedly that Monica from Friends is my alter-ego—a super-competitive neat freak who loves to cook and has slightly unruly hair.
2. I was far too nerdy as a kid, using words like “legumes” and “atrocious” before I was 10. I still love language and try to learn a few phrases for every country I visit. Chinese was the most difficult. Wô shì měiguórén took forever to master.
3. I once wrote an article about the high drowning rates of minorities. The story later hit the New York Times and inspired a movie (Pride) and a Red Cross inner-city swim campaign. That one story showed me the power of change. It’s also why I love being a journalist.
4. My family is truly funny in Farsi. My five loud, crazy younger siblings are my best friends. And my parents live right next door to my grandparents, which means every day with them is like Everybody Loves Raymond meets My Big, Fat Greek Wedding.
5. I believe that each person must define his or her own philosophy on life. And that is why I love SoulPancake.