Shaved Fennel and Apples, Wine-Pickled Onions, Toasted Pecans and Vinaigrette
Ingredients for Wine-Pickled Onions
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced paper-thin on mandoline
- 1/3 cup red wine or Merlot vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. apricot paste (dried apricots blended with water to paste consistency, or substitute agave nectar)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
Prepare the onions in advance. Toss all the ingredients and gently massage. Allow to pickle for a few hours to overnight. Store in a jar and chill.
Ingredients for Mandarin Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup muscatel vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. apricot paste (dried apricots blended with water to paste consistency, or substitute agave nectar)
- 1/4 cup mandarin orange segments, diced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped mint
- 2 Tbsp. orange zest
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Whisk all the ingredients together. Makes about 1 cup.
Ingredients for Salad
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 apples or pears, sliced paper-thin, preferably using a mandoline
- Drizzle of Mandarin Vinaigrette (see recipe, above)
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Wine-Pickled Onions (see recipe, above)
1. To prepare the salad, gently toss the shaved fennel, arugula and apples or pears (reserve a few slices for garnish) in a bowl with the vinaigrette.
2. To serve, plate salad and garnish with a few slices of shaved apple or pear, toasted pecans and pickled onions.