Ingredients for Wet Batch
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup tomato paste or agave sweetened catsup
- 4 cloves garlic fine minced
Ingredients for Dry Batch
- 1/2 Tbsp. chipotle powder
- 2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups gluten flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1. Whisk all wet ingredients. In separate bowl mix the dry batch.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°. Hand mix wet and dry batches.
3. Make another batch of the liquid as listed above to be used as braising liquid.
4. Knead until all is mixed well. The dough should have a tough elastic texture.Stretch and press the raw seitan to be no more than 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
5. Using a baking pan, or roasting pan, oil the pan lightly and place the seitan in the center. Pour the extra batch of liquid over and around the seitan loaf. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, flip, baste with the liquid and continue to bake for 20-25 more minutes.
6. Continue this process until most of the liquid has thickened like a 'glaze' and the seitan is firm to touch. Let it sit to firm up before use. Shred, grind or mince for recipes.