- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 cups chanterelles, or wild mushroom of choice chopped
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 3 cups mushroom stock
- 1/4 cup marsala wine, or madiera wine
- 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 4 sprigs rosemary, pull leaves off stem and mince
- 3 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance vegan butter
1. In shallow pot or large sauté pan, add the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and stir until translucent.
2. Add the mushrooms and fresh herbs and continue to sauté for a few minutes, until they begin to stick.
3. Add the marsala or madiera and cook off for a few minutes. Add stock and stir, bring to a simmer.
4. For the flour, yeast and soy sauce (tamari) make a slurry and add slowly to stock. Bring the gravy to a boil on medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Right before serving add a knob of vegan butter and stir well until melted.
6. If the gravy is too thin for your taste, add one or two tablespoons of flour or small amounts of cornstarch to thicken it. Use a wire whisk to eliminate lumps. Serve over everything!