How likely are teen girls to get pregnant? Why don't teens use contraceptives? Learn more about which teens get pregnant and why.
Facts Courtesy of The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancies
- Nearly 3 in 10 girls in the U.S. get pregnant as teens, and nearly 1 in 6 will be a teen mom.
- Since 1990, teen pregnancy in the U.S. has declined 42%; still,
the U.S. has the highest rate of teen pregnancy of any comparable
- 50% of Latinas and 50% of African-American girls will get
pregnant as teens. Nearly half of Black youth (45%) who've had sex have
been pressured to go further sexually than they wanted to.
- Teens who have unprotected sex on a regular basis have an 85% chance of pregnancy within a year.
- The #1 reason teens say they have sex without contraception is that they're afraid their parents will find out.