Servings: Serves 4–5
- 2 quarts organic chicken stock, homemade or commercial
- 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 stalk lemon grass
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, grated
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, plus a few pieces of the rind for stock
- 1 package udon noodles
- 1 cooked chicken breast, cut into 1/2–3/4-inch pieces
- 10 sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced into very thin 3??? pieces
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Black and white sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped fine (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Bring the chicken broth to a gentle boil in a large stockpot. Add sesame oil, soy sauce, lemon grass, minced ginger, lemon juice and lemon rind. Cook for 20 minutes.
Add udon noodles and gently boil for 5 to 6 minutes or until the noodles are cooked. If using fresh noodles, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
With a pair of tongs, gently lift udon noodles into a soup bowl. Ladle in the hot soup. Add diced chicken, carrots and snap peas. Garnish with scallions, cilantro and black and white sesame seeds.
For an extra bit of spice, add a pinch of cayenne pepper and a sprinkle of jalape??o with each serving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
This recipe may appear slightly modified from what you've seen on television.