Tequila Lime Shrimp Recipe
- 3/4 cup tequila , divided (1/4 cup for marinade and 1/2 cup for cooking)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper , seeded and minced
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup and 1 Tbsp. olive oil , divided (1/4 cup for marinade and 1 Tbsp. for cooking)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 pounds shrimp , peeled and deveined
Remove from the refrigerator and toss the mixture with 1/4 cup of the olive oil, the cilantro and salt.
Place 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, remove the pan from the stove and add 1/4 cup of tequila to the pan. Caution: If cooking with a gas stove, the pan may flame up. You can avoid a dangerous flare-up by removing the pan from the stove, adding the tequila and the drained shrimp and returning it to the burner.
Drain the shrimp from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Carefully add the shrimp to the pan, off the heat. Return the pan to the stove and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing or stirring the shrimp. Cook another 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, place the shrimp on a serving plate.
This recipe can be cooked on the grill using metal or presoaked wooden skewers.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Inactive prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes