- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 lbs. butternut squash , peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock, homemade or commercial
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg, ground fresh
- Pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- 2 tsp. dry sherry or dry white wine
- 8 ounces nonfat cream cheese at room temperature, cut into 4 pieces
- 6 Tbsp. low fat sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced small
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped small
- 2 Tbsp. walnut oil for drizzling
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper
Place the baking sheet in the oven. Roast the onions and squash for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions have caramelized and you can insert a paring knife easily through the cubes of squash. Place the caramelized onions, cubed squash, 3 scallions, chicken stock, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and sherry into a stockpot. Gently simmer for 30 minutes.
In a blender, in batches, add 2 ladles of soup and 2 ounces of the cream cheese at a time and blend until smooth. Pour into a clean stock pot. Keep up this process until all the soup and cream cheese have been used.
To serve, heat the soup until hot and ladle into heated bowls. Garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon chopped scallions, 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeños, 8 to 10 pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle withalt and pepper to taste, 6 to 8 pieces toasted walnuts, 1 teaspoon walnut oil and a dash of cayenne pepper.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
This recipe may appear slightly modified from what you've seen on television.