- 1 cup roasted chicken breast , chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock or store-bought organic chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta , cooked
- 4 egg yolks , lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. Italian parsley , finely chopped
- Sliced lemon , for garnish
- Cracked black pepper , to taste
In a sauce pot, bring the chicken stock to a gentle boil. To temper the egg yolks, add a ladle full of the hot chicken stock into the bowl with the egg yolks while constantly whisking. The bowl with egg yolk will turn into a lemon color.
Using a whisk, mix in the tempered eggs. When all the eggs have been whisked in, stir constantly until the soup is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the cooked orzo pasta into the saucepan and mix. Add the cooked chicken, lemon juice and lemon zest into the sauce pot. Add salt to taste. Do not let the soup boil again because it will promote curdling and you want the soup to have a thick creamy consistency. Simmer gently on low heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
To serve, ladle the soup into warm bowls and garnish with parsley, lemon zest and a thin slice of lemon.
Yield: 4-6 servingss
Prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive prep: 0 minutes
Cook time: 8 to 15 minutes, depending on pasta