- 4 large baking potatoes (preferably Idaho brand)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. melted butter or bacon drippings or melted lard
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Sour cream
- 2 to 4 slices bacon , fried and diced
- 1 bunch whole grilled scallions (optional)
Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to high. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat until you see smoke.
Prick each potato with a fork. Brush or rub the potatoes all over with the melted butter. Season generously with salt and pepper.
When ready to cook, if using a charcoal grill, toss 2 cups of the wood chips on the coals. Place the potatoes in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat and cover the grill. Smoke roast the potatoes until cooked through; the skins will be crisp and the potatoes squeezably soft, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. You should be able to pierce the potatoes easily with a metal skewer. If using a charcoal grill, add 12 fresh coals and 1/2 cup fresh wood chips per side if the potatoes are still hard in the center after 1 hour.
Serve the potatoes with butter, sour cream, bacon bits and grilled scallions, if desired.