Servings: Serves 2
- 1/2 bulb fennel
- Handful of arugula
- Handful of dandelion leaves
- Handful of watercress
- Handful of baby chard
- 4 spears of asparagus
- Handful of fresh chervil or parsley leaves
- lemon oil or creamy French dressing , (recipe below)
- 5 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. walnut oil
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of chopped parsley leaves
- 8 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil , best quality
To make salad:Trim the fennel bulb, reserving the herby tops, and finely slice it. Wash and dry your arugula, dandelion, watercress and baby chard leaves. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus spears (they will break naturally at exactly the right point) and discard them. Holding the base of the asparagus, finely slice each spear with a speed peeler into thin slivers.
Place the asparagus shavings in a bowl with the sliced fennel, the reserved fennel tops and all the salad leaves and herbs. Add some of your chosen dressing and toss together well so everything gets coated– that's it; fancy but easy!
To make dressing: Put all your ingredients into a jam jar. Shake, taste and season again if needed until your dressing is perfect. You may need to add a little more vinegar or oil to balance it.