Servings: Serves 4–6
Hunter's Style Carrots
- 1/2 ounce dried wild mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 3 Tbsp. best-quality olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds thin carrots , peeled and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ounce thinly sliced prosciutto , cut into fine julienne
- 2 large garlic cloves , peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley (flat-leaf)
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
Wash the mushrooms well in a sieve under running water, then soak them in the wine for 2 hours. Drain the mushrooms, reserving any liquid; chop the mushrooms fine. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the carrots and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Season with salt.
Add the chopped wild mushrooms and any of the wine that has not been absorbed. Continue to sauté, stirring and tossing until the carrots begin to brown lightly, another 10 minutes or so.
Add the prosciutto and cook until the prosciutto is just heated through, another minute.
Stir in the garlic and parsley, grind the black pepper over all and turn the carrots out into a heated vegetable dish. Serve immediately. 4 to 6 portions.