- 1 clove garlic , cut in half
- 8 anchovy fillets, cut up*
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershiresauce
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large or 2 small bunches romaine , torn into bite-size pieces (10 cups)
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In salad bowl, mix anchovies, oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard and pepper.
Add romaine, tossing until coated. Sprinkle with croutons and cheese; toss. Serve immediately.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
*2 teaspoons anchovy paste can be substituted for the anchovy fillets.
Chicken Caesar Salad: Broil or grill 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, slice diagonally and arrange on salads. Serve chicken warm or chilled.
Shrimp Caesar Salad: Broil or grill 1 pound peeled deveined large shrimp; arrange on salads. Serve shrimp warm or chilled.
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate choices: 1/2