Addicted to Food Q&A: Tennie McCarty and Tough Love
Tennie's 5 tips for identifying if you or a loved one has an eating disorder
1. Hiding food. If they are hiding food, not eating in front of others, throwing it away, this is a sign they are trying to hide their use of food and signals an issue.
2. Trips to the bathroom. If someone immediately goes to the bathroom following every meal, this is a sign of bulimia.
3. Rituals with food. If they cut up their food in very tiny bites, this is something often seen in anorexic patients.
4. Scabs on knuckles and dry skin around the mouth. This is a sign of constant purging.
5. They can't stop their habits. If someone cannot stop from over-serving themselves, from eating another helping, from purging, from lying about their food use, this is a symptom of an eating disorder.
Next: What should you expect in recovery?
Published on April 05, 2011