Take Oprah's "What Can You Live Without?" Challenge
May 20, 2009
It's time to get back to basics! Cut out the noise and simplify your life with Oprah's "What Can You Live Without?" Challenge. "It's all about disconnecting from all the stuff and all the technology and reconnecting as a family," Oprah says. "You're going to have a great time. You're going to reconnect as a family. You're going to find out what each other's real interests are, what everybody's been thinking, what everybody's been feeling. You're going to feel a lot of love."
The Ground Rules
1. Cut out all technology—no televisions, video games, cell phones, computers, MP3 players or anything else you may use on a daily basis.
2. No eating out. Everyone must eat dinner at home as a family and brown bag it for lunch.
3. Curb your spending! The only items you can buy are groceries, and try to buy what you need for the week for $125.
4. Plan an inexpensive, creative family outing. You may spend a small amount of money on this if necessary.
5. Choose one family activity that gives back to others.
6. Mom and Dad: Plan one date night so you can connect as a couple.
7. No working late.
At the end of one week, see if you can go for another week—and create your own family rules!