This recipe features tofu, soy or almond milk and tahini for a smooth texture and a mix of veggies for flavor and color.
Servings: Serves 6
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves , packed
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm or extra firm tofu , pressed to remove as much liquid as possible
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. sesame tahini
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Tamari or cayenne pepper , to taste
- 1 pre-packaged vegan whole wheat pie crust
- 4 thin slices orange or red bell peppers
Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and mushrooms along with a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often, until mushrooms have released most of their liquid. Add spinach and garlic and cook 3 minutes longer. Set aside.
Mash tofu and place it in the bowl of a food processor along with soy or almond milk and tahini. Puree until smooth. Add salt, pepper, curry powder, onion powder and garlic powder and add tamari to taste. Add tofu mixture to sautéed vegetables, stirring to combine well. Adjust seasonings to taste and spoon into pie shell. Arrange bell pepper slices decoratively on top and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until pastry and the top of the pie are golden brown. Let quiche cool several minutes before slicing and serving.
Per serving (1/6 quiche): 280 calories (180 from fat), 20g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 10g protein, 19g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium
Printed from Oprah.com on December 5, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.