Servings: Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas , rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 strips tempeh bacon , chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper , cored, seeded and chopped
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
Put black-eyed peas into a large bowl, cover with water and set aside for 6 hours or overnight.
Drain black-eyed peas, then transfer to a large pot. Add 6 cups of clean water, onions and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until black-eyed peas are tender but still whole, about 45 minutes. Add rice, tempeh bacon, peppers, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with Tabasco sauce, if you like. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Per serving (5oz./142g-wt.): 130 calories (5 from fat), 0.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 6g protein, 24g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium