Using the automatic teller machine can be more dangerous than you think. It's best to use the ATM only once you've thought about where you are and wondered what you would do if someone tried to rob you or abduct you. Use these tips to keep yourself out of harm's way:
- Use ATMs only in well-lit, secure locations. Plan ahead to get cash out before it's evening or nighttime.
- Make sure your wits are about you when taking cash out of an ATM. Turn off your radio and try to remain focused on the task and your surroundings.
- If you need to use a drive-through ATM machine, only choose that option during regular business hours at the bank.
- Many police stations now have ATMs on their premises. This will always be the safest place in your neighborhood to withdraw money. Another good option is to take out extra cash when buying groceries.
- If someone happens to abduct you, try to resist them. Do everything in your power to not let them take you to a second location. If you are taken from your seat and put in the trunk, in many cars you can kick out the backseat from the trunk and dupe your abductor.