- In South Africa, more than 1 million women and children are raped every year. (The London Times, October 14, 2004)
- Each and every day in South Africa, at least 50 children are victims of rape. (South African Press Association, June 2005)
- More than 90 percent of rape victims know their attackers. (South African Press Association, June 2005)
- A young girl born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped than of learning how to read. (BBC News, April 2002)
- In South Africa, one in four girls faces the prospect of being raped before her 16th birthday, according to the child support group, Childline South Africa.
More from the show:
After Hallie's death, Oprah made a promise to her parents. How did a girl's lunch money help change lives?
Mama Jackey has inspired thousands of children. The Ebersol family's documentary tells her story.
Angel from Soweto