Not too long ago, I came up with a list of Ten Things I Pledge to Myself, in order to keep myself focused and centered on just who I want to be. I introduced this Pledge at the California Governor and First Lady's 2007 Conference on Women, in Long Beach, California. I'm sharing it with you with the hope you may enjoy coming up with your own pledge to yourself. But please write it in pencil—because just like you, it's bound to change.
And remember: Enjoy the ride!
- I pledge to "show up" in my life as myself, not as an imitation of anyone else.
- I pledge to avoid using the word "just" to describe myself. For example, I won't say, "I'm just a mother," "I'm just a student" or "I'm just an ordinary person."
- I pledge to give myself ten minutes of silence and stillness every day to get in touch with my heart and hear my own voice.
- I pledge to use my voice to connect my dreams to my actions.
- I pledge to use my voice to empower myself and others.
- I pledge to serve my community at least once a year in a way that will benefit other people.
- I pledge to ask myself, "Who am I? What do I believe in? What am I grateful for? What do I want my life to stand for?"
- I pledge to sit down and write my own mission statement.
- I pledge to live my own legacy.
- And I pledge to pass it on.