The Guest List
Your favorite bookworms
It's not a book club without a lively discussion. Create a cozy conversation area in your living room and have plenty of throws and blankets on hand so people can really settle in for a night of conversation.
Past Book Club selections have taken us around the world. Make every course its own tribute to your favorite reads:
Appetizer: Chinese Scallion Pancakes, in honor of Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth
Salad: Watermelon, Feta and Black Olive Salad, in honor of Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex
Entree: Boeuf Bourguignon, in honor of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities
Dessert: Bread and Butter Pudding wtih Whiskey Creme Anglaise, in honor of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations
Drink: Mojitos, in honor of Gabriel García Márquez's Love in the Time of Cholera
Test your knowledge! Print out this worksheet and see who can match all the Oprah's Book Club titles with the authors.
Have soft background music playing to make conversation easier.
- "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck
- "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane
- "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis
- "Sugar" by Stanley Turrentine
- "Breezin'" by George Benson
- Have a stack of Oprah's Book Club selections handy and let your guests take home the one they most want to read
- A beautiful bookmark
- Small bags of hot chocolate or coffee
- A mug