According to life coach and motivational speaker Tony Robbins, success and happiness can be found by meeting certain needs that are fundamental to the human experience. The tricky part, he says, is meeting these oftentimes conflicting needs in ways that are constructive, proactive and empowering. "It's the way you get
the needs that changes your life," he says.
Tony shares with Dr. Oz the six fundamental human needs he says everyone should reflect on and attain in order to reach their full potential:
- Certainty: This is a basic survival instinct that people need to feel a sense of comfort, Tony says.
- Uncertainty or variety: As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life. "We need surprise," Tony says.
- A feeling of significance: Tony says all of us yearn to feel unique or special in some way.
- The need to feel connected and loved: Tony says some of the best ways to feel connected are through giving back to the community at large. Prayer, intimate love, affection for children and even pets are other ways to connect.
- Growth: Everyone has—and needs—room to grow, Tony says. "If you're not making progress, doesn't matter where you are, you're not going to be happy."
- Contribution: Give beyond yourself, Tony says. "If you don't grow and you don't give, you're not fulfilled."