Gael Greene is the renowned New York
magazine food critic and author of the best-selling memoir, Insatiable: Tales from a Life of Delicious Excess
. Gael has had quite the life, from sleeping with Elvis Presley to launching New York City's Meals on Wheels program. Jean talks to Gael about food, sex and everything in between. Plus, Gael shares her tips for living it up without spending a fortune:
- Gael says that historically people didn't talk about food, much like they didn't speak about money or sex. She says she tried to write about the topic in a sensual way.
- "Making love and eating a great dinner are the two most sensual experiences that two consenting adults can share," Gael says.
- You don't have to give up saving for retirement in order to enjoy great food. There are amazing bargain restaurants—you just have to find them, Gael says.
- If you really want to try out a restaurant, but the prices are steep, go for lunch, when portions and prices are more moderate.
- Stay away from the bottled water that has recently replaced tap at many restaurants. This upscale water can run you $10 a bottle, Gael says.
- Share. "One bite of chocolate goes a long way," Gael says.