Daryn Kagan was a familiar presence in people's homes for 12 years as a news anchor on CNN. But when CNN chose to not renew her contract, she decided to take her life in a different direction and launch the website darynkagan.com. The site is an inspirational online community that strives to "show the world what's possible," Daryn says, and offers hopeful, inspiring stories that you might not find on the six o'clock news.
Daryn talks with Jean about how she launched her new business, and shares her advice:
- Daryn says she was unusual in the fact that she'd saved well over 50 percent of her salary while at CNN, so she was able to finance the venture herself.
- Be careful with the advice you take—Daryn received all kinds of offers from venture capitalists and others who wanted to contribute.
- If the plans you have for life change unexpectedly, Daryn says to take some time to be sad, then put your life back together.
- Know that the way you look at the world is a conscious choice—you can choose to look for things that will make you feel good.
- Keep it fresh. Monday through Friday, Daryn offers a new webcast on her site, and stories get updated several times a day.