Randy Hundley is a sports legend who spent more than a decade as a Major League Baseball catcher. Dr. Oz talks with Randy about staying fit and recovering from injuries during his 14 years playing professional baseball.
From 1964 through 1977, Randy says he gave his all to the game of baseball, physically and mentally. "I think the interesting thing is the mind-set of the professional athlete," Randy says. "To me, 80 percent of being professional is where your mind is and how you can control your emotions." Natural ability, Randy says, is the other 20 percent of being a successful pro athlete. Injuries come with the territory of playing professional sports, and Randy says he has experienced many painful surgeries, including a torn ACL. "They told me I would never be able to play again and I was still able to get another six years in the big league," Randy says.
Randy says recovering from injuries was a mind-over-matter challenge that he took in stride. "The surgery is not as important to me as is your attitude after the surgery and whether or not you are going to work diligently to rehab those muscles," Randy says. "Getting through that pain zone in rehabbing and trying to rebuild that structure around a joint—it is the most important thing that you can do."
Today's professional athletes have access to trainers, technology and medical advancements that Randy says would have helped him greatly when he was playing baseball. Despite being out of professional sports for the past 30 years, Randy says he still deals with injuries from his days in the major league. "I have had my hip replaced—right hip done twice—I had my knee replaced four years ago, and yeah it has taken a toll on my body, no doubt about it," Randy says.