Servings: Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 bunches (about 6 cups) watercress , trimmed
- 1/4 pound sliced prosciutto , cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 yellow or red watermelon , peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
To make vinaigrette: In a small sauté pan over medium-low heat, toast fennel seeds 3 to 5 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool. Grind in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle until lightly crushed. Transfer to a jar. Add olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Seal jar tightly and shake well.
In a large bowl, toss watercress and prosciutto with half the dressing. Season lightly with salt and pepper and divide among 4 individual plates. In the same bowl, toss watermelon with remaining half of the dressing and divide among plates of watercress. Top with shaved Parmesan before serving.