1. Shake the highlighting powder into a mixing bowl.
2. Pour the peroxide developer into the bowl.
3. Stir together peroxide developer and highlighting powder and watch mixture turn blue (the better to see where you're applying it).
4. Dip thimbled index finger into mixture.
5. Slowly draw bristles through dry, tangle-free hair.
I highlighted six sections of hair—three on each side of my natural part—and overall was rather pleased with my handiwork. The color I chose (Toasted Almond) came out a touch brassier than I would have liked, though. I'd neglected to do a strand test (always do a strand test!), so I didn't know exactly how long to let the dye process, and probably waited a bit too long to rinse it out. But with a little luck, practice should make perfectly sun-kissed. — JB
Next: The at-home laser hair removal adventure