Servings: Serves 4
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 small (about 8-ounce) egglplant , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 small onions (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 small zucchini (about 8 ounces), sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 scant pint sweet cherry tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few basil leaves , torn
Cook each vegetable separately over medium heat either in 4 medium sauté pans or one at a time in the same pan, transferring each vegetable to a large pan when it's done. Use 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 of the garlic for each vegetable. Cook eggplant about 18 minutes, until completely soft. Cook onions about 18 minutes, until soft and slightly caramelized. Cook zucchini until tender, 12 to 14 minutes, then turn up heat to brown lightly. Cook tomatoes about 9 minutes, until wrinkled and barely holding their shape. Season each vegetable just before it is done.
Set the large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook combined vegetables, tossing gently, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle in basil; season to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
Adapted from The River Cottage Cookbook, by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Copyright © 2001, 2008. Photography © 2001, 2008 by Simon Wheeler. Reprinted with permission from Ten Speed Press.