Why should you grow your own vegetables? Says British cooking phenomenon (and grow-your-own fanatic) Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall: "It's a form of self expression."
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 small (about 8-ounce) egglplant , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 small onions (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 small zucchini (about 8 ounces), sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 scant pint sweet cherry tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few basil leaves , torn
Set the large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook combined vegetables, tossing gently, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle in basil; season to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
Adapted from The River Cottage Cookbook, by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Copyright © 2001, 2008. Photography © 2001, 2008 by Simon Wheeler. Reprinted with permission from Ten Speed Press.