- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 (9-by-9-inch) piece frozen all-butter puff pastry dough , thawed but still very cold
- 4 (5-inch) pork hot dogs or beef hot dogs , halved lengthwise, then cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Chinese hot mustard , or other favorite mustard, for dipping
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon water and egg to make an egg wash; set aside. Arrange puff pastry on a clean surface and cut into 24 triangles, each about 2 inches wide at the bottom and about 3 inches tall. Transfer to a sheet tray, cover with plastic wrap, and keep refrigerated while working on step 3.
Remove a few pieces of puff pastry from refrigerator at a time, so that the rest remain chilled until ready to use. Spoon about 2 teaspoons onion onto a 3-inch end of each puff pastry triangle, then top with a piece of hot dog. Roll up, starting with hot dog end first. Along the way, using your fingers or a pastry brush, dab the puff pastry with a bit of egg wash to help seal. Transfer to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, seam side down.
Brush pigs in a blanket thinly with some of the egg wash and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve with mustard.