1. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning.
The "10th Anniversary O Interview" Contest ("Contest") is only open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 years or older, except employees of, Hearst Communications, Inc. (the "Sponsor"), Harpo Productions, Inc. ("Harpo") and their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies, prize suppliers, affiliated entities, immediate family members and/or household members. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited or restricted by law. Contest is subject to all federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations and shall be governed by New York law. By entering the Contest, entrants agree to accept and be bound by all terms of these Official Rules and Regulations. Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this promotion or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in New York, NY; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys' fees; (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential, or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, "special damages"); and (4) he/she hereby waives all rights to claim special damages and all rights to have such damages multiplied or increased. New York law, without reference to New York's choice of law rules, governs the Contest and all aspects related thereto.
2. HOW TO ENTER: From 12:01am (ET) on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 until 12:00 pm (ET) on Friday, January 8, 2010 (the "Promotional Period") , Sponsor will conduct a national Contest encouraging people to write an essay, no more than one hundred fifty (150) words in total length (collectively, the "Essays"), describing "what questions you would ask Oprah Winfrey and why you're an O Magazine reader" (the "Topic"). To enter, participants must log on to the Contest page of the Oprah.com website (the "Website") located at www.oprah.com, and complete and submit online the entry form during the Promotional Period according to the onscreen instructions, including their full name, address, daytime telephone number and date of birth (individually, an "Entry" and collectively, the "Entries"). To be eligible, all Entries must be received by 12:00pm (ET) on Friday, January 8, 2010. All Entries must be submitted in the name of an individual person and prizes will only be awarded to the person whose name is on the winning Entry, regardless of e-mail account ownership or other circumstances. All Entries must be written in English and Entries on any other Topic shall be disqualified. Any untruthfulness, plagiarism and/or failure to properly identify non-original material by an entrant will also result in such entrant's disqualification. Entries containing quotations or copyrighted materials which are not properly identified will be disqualified. All words in the Essay shall be counted towards the One Hundred Fifty (150) word limit. Entries that Sponsor and/or the judges deem, in their sole and unfettered discretion, to: (i) be obscene or offensive, (ii) contain inappropriate content, (iii) not comply with these official rules, or (iv) be inconsistent with the spirit or theme of the Contest, will be deemed void and disqualified. Limit one (1) Entry per person.
All duplicate Entries shall be deemed void. All Entries will become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. No mechanical reproductions, mailed or postage due Entries, facsimiles, mass submissions, Entries that have been tampered with, or submissions generated by a script or macro will be accepted by Sponsor and all such Entries will be deemed void. Sponsor is not responsible for misdirected, inaccurate, incomplete, lost, late, delayed, undelivered, damaged or illegible Entries, and all such Entries will be deemed void. Sponsor is also not responsible for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind, or other errors or problems which may occur in connection with or relating to the Contest, whether computer, network, technical, mechanical, typographical, human or otherwise, including, without limitation, errors or problems which may occur in connection with the printing of the official rules, the administration of the Contest, the processing of Entries, the announcement of the prizes, in any Contest-related materials or that may limit prize fulfillment or a participant's ability to enter the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or prematurely conclude the Contest should any computer virus, malfunction, fraud, tampering, unauthorized intervention or other cause beyond their control corrupt the administration, security or proper operation of the Contest. False or deceptive Entries or acts will render the participant ineligible and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any participant who attempts to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by tampering with any Website mechanism, acting in a disruptive manner or violating these Official Rules. Any attempt by an individual to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorneys' fees) from any such participant to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.
3. HOW TO WIN: Twenty (20) finalists (the "Finalists") will be selected by a panel of judges selected by Sponsor on or around January 8, 2010 from all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotional Period, based equally upon the following criteria: (i) originality of the Entry, (ii) style of the Entry, (iii) expression of the submissions, and (iv) overall adherence to the Topic. The decisions of the Sponsor and judges will be final and binding on all participants in all matters related to the Contest. In the event of a tie, the Entry among all tied entrants that has the highest score in originality will be declared a Finalist. This is a contest of skill, so the odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible Entries received during the Promotional Period and how high a person's Entry scores compared to all other such Entries. The Finalists will be notified by the phone number provided on their Entries on or around January 8, 2010 and will be required to email Sponsor a photo of themselves and answer ten – fifteen (10-15) questions about their lifestyles. Finalists must reply within twenty-four (24) hours of notification or else alternate winners will be selected. The Finalists' Essays will then be posted on the Website through January 22, 2010. Four (4) winners (individually, a "Winner" and collectively, the "Winners") will be determined by Sponsor based equally upon the following criteria: (i) which Entries receive the highest numbers of online votes, (ii) a telephone interview conducted by a representative of Sponsor on or about January 22, 2010, and the answers to ten-fifteen (10-15) questions about their lifestyles. In the event of a tie in this portion of the Contest, the person among the tied entrants who has the highest score in the phone interview portion shall be declared a Winner. Winners will be notified by Sponsor within three (3) business days of the judges' decision via the telephone number provided on each winning Entry. Winners must reply within twenty-four (24) hours of notification or else alternate winners will be selected. In the event that the Contest is canceled or ended prematurely due to the reasons set forth in paragraph 2, above, the Finalists and/or Winners shall be chosen by a representative of Sponsor from all eligible Entries received as of the time of the impairment using the judging criteria and systems above.
4. PRIZE: Four (4) Winners will each receive the following prize package, with all items selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion: a two (2) day/one (1) night trip for two to Chicago, IL (the "Trip"), at an approximate retail value ("ARV") of Eight Hundred Dollars ($800.00) per Winner. Each Trip shall include: (i) round-trip, coach class air transportation (including taxes) from the major US airport nearest each Winner's residence to Chicago, IL, (ii) hotel accommodations (one room, double occupancy), including room taxes, for one (1) night at a hotel in Chicago, and (iii) the opportunity for each Winner to meet Ms. Winfrey. TOTAL ARV OF PRIZES (FOUR PRIZES): Three Thousand Two Hundred Dollars ($3,200.00). No substitutions, exchanges, partial acceptance, transfer of prizes or cash redemptions permitted by Winners. ARV of each Trip may vary based upon a Winner's city of residence. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or comparable value in the event a described prize or any portion thereof is unavailable for any reason whatsoever. Winner is solely responsible for all expenses not expressly provided for above, including meals, incidentals, tips, telephone calls, souvenirs, dry cleaning, laundry, ground transportation, spa services, excess baggage charges, room service or other personal expenses or hotel charges incurred during the Trip. Winner is solely responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documents (eg: valid passport and/or photo ID). Airline carrier's regulations and conditions apply. All travel arrangements must be made through Sponsor's agent on a carrier of Sponsor's choice and blackout dates may apply. Trip may not be combined with any other offer and travel may not qualify for frequent flyer miles. Certain restrictions may apply and no refunds or credit for changes are allowed. Once scheduled, the travel itineraries cannot be altered. Travel arrangements (including seat selection) are subject to availability and confirmation of reservations. Trip must be taken within one (1) year of being awarded or it shall be forfeited and Sponsor shall have no further obligation to Winner. Winners are solely responsible for the reporting and payment of all federal, state and local taxes incurred by acceptance and use of the prizes (or any portion thereof), if applicable. All prize details are at Sponsor's discretion.
5. GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS By entering this Contest, entrants: (i) agree to be bound by the decisions of Sponsor which are final and binding in all matters, (ii) grant Sponsor, Harpo and their designees the right, unless prohibited by law, to use their names, cities and states of residence, voices, pictures, biographical information and likenesses, without compensation, notification or permission, for the purpose of advertising and publicity in any and all manner or media, now or hereafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity, (iii) represent and warrant their Entries are their original, previously unpublished work and have not received awards for their Entries, (iv) represent and warrant that they are not participating in the Contest in the capacity of a reporter and further represent and warrant that they will not write, blog about, publish or cause to be published any article or book about their participation therein, (v) acknowledge and agree that Sponsor will own and administer 100% of the copyright in all Entries submitted, with the perpetual right to use such Entries without permission or compensation (and that entrants will sign any paperwork within seven (7) days of notification transferring such copyright to Sponsor if determined to be necessary), and (vi) represent and warrant that their Entries do not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity. Sponsor will own the Entries submitted (including the Essays and all rights embodied therein), and they and their designees may exploit, edit, modify, and distribute the Entries and all elements of such Entries, including, without limitation, the names and likenesses of any persons or locations embodied therein, in any and all media, now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity without limitation at no additional notification or permission of entrants or any third party. In addition, entrants forever waive and relinquish all so-called "moral rights ("droit moral") now or hereafter recognized. Certification of potential Winners is dependent on the results of background checks. In order to claim the prize(s), potential Winners: (i) must each meet all eligibility requirements, (ii) may each be required to produce proof of identity, address and birth date, and (iii) must each execute and return certain winner documents (as applicable), including an affidavit of eligibility, tax acknowledgment form, liability release and, except where prohibited by law, use of name and likeness releases. Such documents must be completed in full and returned within ten (10) days of issuance either via facsimile or US registered mail. Failure to do so or if: (i) any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, (ii) a Winner declines his or her prize, or (iii) a potential Winner is determined to be ineligible for any reason, will result in disqualification of such Winner and an alternate winner may be selected at Sponsor's sole discretion from among all eligible Entries and based on the judging criteria stated in these Official Rules. Sponsor will use reasonable efforts to pick alternate winners but in the event an alternate winner cannot be determined, the prizes will not be awarded.
Sponsor, Harpo and their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies, prize providers and affiliated entities expressly disclaim any responsibility and participants agree to hold Sponsor, Harpo and their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies and affiliated entities harmless from liability for any injury, disability or loss to any person or property (including allergic reactions and/or death) relating to participation in this Contest (including the manner in which the Finalists and/or Winners are selected), the delivery and/or subsequent acceptance, use or misuse of any of the prizes awarded and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. Neither Sponsor, Harpo nor their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies, prize providers and affiliated entities are responsible for: (i) any loss (financial or otherwise), liability, injury (including death) or damage to persons or property which may be caused directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, by the prizes awarded (including allergic reactions and/or death), (ii) any loss (financial or otherwise), injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from downloading any material from the Website, regardless of whether the material was prepared by Sponsor, Harpo or a third party, and regardless of whether the material is connected to the Website by a hypertext link. Sponsor, Harpo and their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies, prize providers and affiliated entities further assume no liability either for the cancellation, modification or premature conclusion of the Contest for any reason or through the acts or defaults of any company or person providing any prize. All such losses or expenses must be borne by the affected participants and/or Winners.
6. OFFICIAL RULES AND/OR WINNERS' LIST REQUESTS: For a copy of the Official Rules, either log on to the Website or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the following address beginning December 10, 2009: "10th Anniversary O Interview" Contest, c/o Oprah.com 110 N. Carpenter St., Chicago, IL 60607. Requests for Official Rules received after January 1, 2010, will not be honored. A list of Winners will be available on the Website on or about February 1, 2010.
7. SPONSOR: This Contest is managed by Hearst Communications, Inc. with offices at 300 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019.
Official voting rulesOfficial Voting Rules
These are the official terms and conditions for voting (the "Official Voting Rules") for the "10th Anniversary O Interview" Contest (the "Contest"). These Official Voting Rules are incorporated by reference into the Official Rules of the Contest and www.oprah.com/interviewoprah.
The Contest is only open to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, age 18 years or older, except employees of, Hearst Communications, Inc. (the "Sponsor"), Harpo Productions, Inc. ("Harpo") and their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies, prize suppliers, affiliated entities, immediate family members and/or household members. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited or restricted by law.
HOW TO VOTE
Vote for your favorite Finalist on www.oprah.com/interviewoprah starting on or about January 8, 2010 through January 22, 2010 by clicking the button adjacent to the Finalist's photograph and follow the instructions to complete the voting process. Online entries may be subject to standard internet connection fees.
Use of any device to automate a vote is prohibited, including but not limited to software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other similar means. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual (and remove any votes from that individual) if it suspects or finds that such individual: (i) has used a software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online entry; (ii) tampered with the voting process; (iii) acted in violation of these Official Voting Rules; or (iv) acted in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Sponsor reserves the right to remove votes at its sole discretion.
If, for any reason, any aspect of this voting process is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical or system failures or disruption, 'Acts of God' or terrorist attacks, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the voting process or for any reason Sponsor deems it necessary, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate or modify voting process as set forth in the Official Rules.
All persons participate in this voting process at his/her own risk. Sponsor, Harpo and their respective officers, directors, agents, parents, subsidiaries, franchisees, participating advertising or promotion agencies, prize providers, affiliated entities and any entity associated with this voting process (collectively, the "Released Parties") are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) difficulty accessing telecom systems; (ii) errors in transmission; (iii) service outage or delays or for any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof: (iv) any incomplete, lost, late, delayed, misdirected or garbled votes or failure to receive votes; (v) injury or damage to a participant's or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in, or downloading materials or software, or attempts to participate in or download materials or software related to this voting process. Released Parties are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Released Parties that may cause the voting to be disrupted or corrupted; (ii) typographical or other errors in the printing, the offering or the administration of the Official Voting Rules or (iii) any errors in the announcement of potential Winner(s).
Participants assume all liability for any injury or damages caused or claimed to be caused by his or her participation in the voting opportunity described in these Official Voting Rules, and release Released Parties and their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, parents, subsidiaries and affiliates from any such claim or liability.
All interpretations of these Official Voting Rules and the decisions of Sponsor relating to this voting process are final.
Printed from Oprah.com on Wednesday, December 11, 2013