- Make a list of the people you really care about, then send each a handwritten note saying why you do.
- Look up someone from your past who has made an impression on you, then surprise that person with a phone call or note.
- Bake a cake and drop it off at a nursing home. Or make some cookies and invite someone who will be alone for the holidays to share them with you.
- Put a surprise in your child's lunchbox every Tuesday—or pick your own day. You can also include a love note or a funny picture.
- For the 12 days before Christmas, do a family countdown by performing a random act of kindness each day. Every night at the dinner table, have each family member share what he or she did that day.