You've got questions? Our beauty director, Valerie Monroe, has answers.
Q. How can I keep my very curly hair straight and smooth during the summer?
A. I just want to say one word to you—just one word. Are you listening? Silicone. It's found in many haircare products. It minimizes frizz because it's water-resistant, and so it prevents humidity from entering the hair shaft and swelling it. Using a shampoo, conditioner, and styling serum all containing silicone will not only control frizz but also help with detangling and shine, says hairstylist Amy Abramite, creative director of Maxine Salon in Chicago. Amy suggests the following 12-step program for fighting frizz. I have to warn you: It exhausted me just to read it.
1. Shampoo and rinse.
2. Massage in conditioner. Leave on for five minutes, then rinse.
3. Gently squeeze excess water from hair with a towel. (Do not rub.)
4. Detangle with a wide-toothed comb.
5. Apply leave-in serum with fingers, working from ends to scalp.
6. Section wet hair in two halves, top and bottom of head. Fasten top section with clips.
7. Starting with the bottom section, use a paddle brush to stretch curls straight while blowing dry from scalp to ends.
8. Do the same with the top section.
9. Section hair again, top and bottom, fastening top with clip.
10. Use flatiron on bottom section.
11. Use flatiron on top section.
12. Apply serum with fingers, working upward toward scalp.
Bottom line: With silicone-containing products and a rigorous blow-out and flatironing routine, you can have smooth hair even at summer's steamiest.
Printed from Oprah.com on Friday, March 7, 2014
© 2014 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.