Belgian-born, British-based banker Katleen Van Roost bought and renovated her vacation house in the Hamptons with a plan to spend every July and August there. Rather than diving in to the go-go social scene, the Van Roosts enjoy a home where, at least during their vacation, they can check every concern at the door.Take a tour of the Van Roost's Hampton's hideaway.Katleen's Easy Living Tips
- Don't expect everything to be perfect the first time around. Decorating is an evolving process. Make changes if you feel they're appropriate and learn from your mistakes.
- When in doubt, be consistent. It's almost always easier to execute a design when you stick to one style.
- Have some fun. When you consider what children need to enjoy a home, hanging a tire swing on a backyard tree becomes as important as finding the ideal sofa.
- Not everything has to be newly invented. Find your inspiration in the world around you, whether it's in magazines, books, travel, or hotels.
- Select neutral colors and natural fibers. They consistently feel clean and will help create a peaceful environment.