Relax! Using Ariel's five pointers for easy living leaves plenty of time for fun and games.
- Buy neutral furniture and bring color in with accessories. It's easier to replace a candlestick than a sofa that suddenly feels outdated.
- Take a laid-back approach to art. We used game boards and Polaroids. And who says everything needs to be hung on the wall—or even framed?
- Big names aren't always best. I like to mix highbrow and affordable furniture because it's hard to feel comfortable in a room that's all design, design, design.
- Erase the barrier between indoors and out. Furnish your deck, porch, or patio as if it were your living room. Then you can't help but enjoy the good weather.
- Don't bother with fussy drapes. In fact, if privacy is not an issue at your home, you have my permission to skip curtains altogether.