1 of 6
Divide life and work
If you decide to start your own business part-time, you'll need excellent time-management skills, strong self-discipline and support from family and friends. It's a big commitment. To succeed, think small. A series of small steps will get you as far as one giant step.
These steps include:
- Developing a business concept
- Writing a business plan
- Acquiring basic business equipment
- Setting a long-term target date to go full time
- Aiming for moderate first-year revenues
- Selecting time-saving business equipment
- Maintaining top performance at your day job
Please note: This is general information and is not intended to be legal advice. You should consult with your own financial advisor before making any major financial decisions, including investments or changes to your portfolio, and a qualified legal professional before executing any legal documents or taking any legal action. Harpo Productions, Inc., OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Discovery Communications LLC and their affiliated companies and entities are not responsible for any losses, damages or claims that may result from your financial or legal decisions.